Having gotten some of the software and XP Mode problems out of the way, I now need to install some of the old (and some new) hardware to the new desktop.
The HP LaserJet P1005 installed just fine as soon as it was plugged in.
I suspected that the Epson Stylus CX6400 wasn’t going to be quite so simple, since I recalled having to run the install software before I connected it the last time. And, yes, sure enough, the installation software (once I found the old CD and instructions) didn’t run under Windows 7.
So, off to Epson. I checked under Drivers and Support, specified my “All-in-One” (it’s get a printer, a scanner, and some memory card readers), and asked for Windows 64-bit drivers.
Now out of Epson EasyPrint v3.10, ICM Color Profile Module Update v1.20, TWAIN Driver and EPSON Scan Utility v3.04A, TWAIN Driver and EPSON Scan Utility v2.68A, and Printer Driver v5.5aAs which would you pick? Yeah, I didn’t know either, and the descriptions weren’t an awful lot of help. But I knew (from the dim and distant past) that TWAIN (we used to say that it stood for “Technology Without An Interesting Name) had something to do with scanners, and the v2.68A was listed for 64-bit only, so I chose that.
It ran. After a while I got the scanner part of the Windows Fax and Scan program. It didn’t have many options. Epson Scan had been installed, but it insisted that it couldn’t run, and Epson Scan Settings insisted the scanner wasn’t installed. I used the troubleshooter (seemingly provided by Epson) but it was no help. I rebooted the computer: that was no help. I tried help and searching on the Epson site: you guessed it, no help.
I did some Google searching. Found a mention of device drivers, and having to uninstall the Microsoft brand, and install the proper Epson driver.
Well, thought I, I installed this with installation and setup stuff from Epson: surely Microsoft wouldn’t have messed it up in that short time. But I had a look at Device Manager anyway.
And, lo and behold, the driver that was installed was signed by Microsoft. Uninstalled that, searched the disk for related drivers, found two. One was for CX6300/CX6400, and one just for the CX6400, so I installed the latter, on the theory that the more specific was more likely to be from Epson.
And now Epson Scan is happy to run.
(I also installed the original XP software from the CD within XP Mode. That didn’t work …)