Skype – The new NMAP?
This outstanding work unveils Skype’s inner workings, reverse engineering the application and the network protocol and provides code samples.
The author poses and later answers three questions:
- Is Skype a backdoor?
- Can one detect and block Skype traffic?
- Is Skype safe enough for Business use?
Several security related issues are brought to light:
- Several heap overflows were found during the research.
- Skype can be DoSed by a single packet
- Skype can be abused as anything from a port scanner to a botnet and covert channels in P2P
For the rest of this excellent work get the full paper at: