Researchers and Wiki and Pederasts – Oh my!
It’s a busy month and only getting busier but I wanted to post some random crap that’s been semi-bugging me. Sorry I don’t link to the actual articles below. Google is your friend.
1) Driving a car doesn’t make you an engineer. Similarly, running someone else’s fuzzer doesn’t make you a researcher. The rash of LDAP flaws released by [*cough*] security researchers is coming. In fact, it’s already started. In related news, an LDAP-fuzzing script was recently posted on Ptacek’s blog. So, there you have it. I’ll just call these people Script-Researchers. I should take a few minutes and really bust on some folks, but I’m kinda supposed to be working right now…maybe some other time.
2) Nice ICMP Kernel bug! I told you the layer 3/4 bugs still had some play
3) Nice FreeBSD layer2 wireless bug. I called it. I rule. And, there’s still more. Go get ‘em script-researchers! (oh…wait…no one has released a script yet…never mind)
4) Beijtlich and Ptacek are having a little bit of a discussion regarding wikipedia futures. Beijtlich claims that a wiki-worm which alters content will kill wikipedia (or something like that, I’m just paraphrasing). Ptacek says that’s a bit extreme. No one really cares what I think, but here’s my take on it.
a) as wiki becomes more and more popular, the user to maintainer ratio increases in favour of the user.
b) it only takes one incorrect entry (incorrectly acted upon) to turn a user away from wiki
c) wiki will become an untrusted entity and people won’t use it for any sort of serious research.
5) Dateline did another installation of ‘Catch the Pederast’ starring the folks from perverted-justice.com. Funny stuff which underlines the problem of the Internet giving safe harbour (or yahoo group membership) to every and any class of whack-job. If you’re an 18-year-old Slovakian with a penchant for licking yellowed toenails while wearing a thong around your head, you can meet a fellow stub-licker from Peoria Illinois via Al Gore’s baby. Remember how airplanes were supposed to bring about world peace because now people could travel to all parts of the world? Remember how the Internet was gonna bring people together in world peace? Reality is a cruel mofo. But hey, we’re all getting rich off it. Go us!