New computers and old network problems
Well, I don’t know if this is a continuation in the “new computers” series, or just rehashing an old problem.
I’ve noted before the problem of the complexity of trying to establish an ad-hoc network under Windows. And, I’m trying various things with the new Mac. So, in a situation, right now, where I have one network cable, and two computers downstairs, I decided to see what an ad hoc network was like with a Mac.
I remembered to do the bridging thing on Windows, and I’ve set up an ad hoc network with a pre-shared key. (At least, I think I have. That seemed to be the way it worked, and the Mac connected with a password, but, on the Windows machine, when I go back and look at it, it says it’s open.) The Mac wouldn’t show the network when I looked at the list, but, when I gave it the name and password it seemed to connect just fine.
I got a Web site correctly on the Mac. Then I went to connect to the Windows machines as servers, and that worked out fine. Then I went to do some work on the Web, and … nothing. The Mac wasn’t able to get onto the Internet. I was still connected to the Windows servers, but couldn’t get a Web page.
And, then, suddenly, I could, again. And then I couldn’t. (At the moment, I can’t.) (Sorry, started working again just before I finished this entry.)
I’ll have to give it a shot with the Mac connected to the cable, and see if I can set up an ad hoc wireless connection that the Windows netbook can use, but, at the moment, Mac networking is not working any better than Windows in the ad hoc environment.
Roll on PopulistNet.